[Tagging] Map maintenance with StreetComplete - Preferred tagging

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 22:16:28 UTC 2020

OpenStreetMap is a shared database - you generally shouldn’t annotate
POI with tags for your own use.

Tags should correspond to ground truth - hence they need to pass the
verifiability. If I resurvey the POI, will I conclude the same future
todo_check_date=* that you have previously added? What if the
tolerance between the two of us don’t match, and I conclude that it
needs to be resurveyed in 1 year, while you would be sure that it
needs to be resurveyed in 1 month?

This sounds a bit like if we started adding fixme=update on
everything, and that is something that we should avoid at all cost
(everything is fixme and needs updating on OSM by definition).

I think everyone should maintain their own todo list on their own
devices and/or in some critical cases in the form of map notes if they
need help from the community.

Viewing from a different perspective: the choice of survey priority
should be decided in situ locally by the mapper who has capacity to do
regular verification. If people adding new POI overburden maintainers
with too short deadlines, all POI will show up as expired. However,
maintainers only have a finite amount of free time, so they will need
to prioritize their mapping activities by the cost to benefit ratio.
Hence they will probably sort by when a POI was last surveyed,
rendering todo_check_date=* redundant at best.

By the way, if a proper amount of people were actually using OSM data
and their applications supported an easy feedback mechanism, such
legwork would be obsolete. For example, if one navigates to a POI that
they find closed, why couldn't they just report it? Or even better,
couldn't we use data mining to get this information from their
location and interaction traces as others do (subject to consent)?

And on the positive side: when a user checks into a venue with their
social application of choice (be it Diaspora or Friendica) or if the
respective wifi network name shows up on a scan nearby, couldn't we
consider these as affirming signs?