[Tagging] Map maintenance with StreetComplete - Preferred tagging

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Jul 25 08:52:54 UTC 2020

Am 25.07.2020 um 03:45 schrieb Jarek PiĆ³rkowski:
> Well, a new API endpoint _could_ automatically read through the entire
> history of a node and note which tags changed when. It would
> essentially be doing what I do when I open the node history in JOSM
> and look when tags changed - only automated. That might well be faster
> in the API, where database accesses and data processing is faster. It
> would be slower than a dedicated database field, but would not require
> the database migration.

No this wouldn't be useful, because what you -actually- want is the
information when the tags have stayed the same, because they have
validated/surveyed, by definition this cannot be determined from
historic objects.

It is completely possible to add this functionality to the API in a
backwards compatible fashion, at the cost of a long per tag in the
current table (assuming that we don't need the information for historic
object versions, so at a reasonable cost space wise. There are a couple
of semantic issues that need to be considered but definitely not rocket
science. Where the big effort is likely adapting the internal tools
(database dumps etc), cgi-map and in the end migrating the database.

If I can find some time over the next months I might prototype this, but
if somebody can do it earlier pls be my guest.

Simon

PS: we just had this discussion on tagging btw in case nobody noticed.