[Tagging] Finger- or guide-post text

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 10:48:38 UTC 2020

On 17/07/2020 16:24, Jan Michel wrote:
> Hi Andy,
> we already have (not well documented) tags for this:
>
> Either you use destination_sign relations as Sarah pointed out. Or, if
> you prefer a more simple approach, there are eight defined keys to add
> the information with approximate directions:
>
> direction_north, ..., direction_southwest, direction_northeast, ...
>
> For some reason they are only mentioned on the German Wiki page
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Tag:information%3Dguidepost
>
> But they are used almost 30,000 times already, see e.g.
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/direction_south
>
> These eight cardinal directions seem to be quite imprecise, but if you
> look at common intersections, they are able to cover almost all cases.
>
> Jan

Thanks - that's really useful.  With the best will in the world I'm
really not going to create several relations for each signed guidepost,
so this is perfect for me for "ad hoc destination signs" on otherwise
unimportant guideposts (which are the most common type where I'm mapping)

Best Regards,

A different Andy