[Tagging] Hiking "guideposts" painted on rocks, trees etc.

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 17:46:07 UTC 2020

On 25/07/2020 17:21, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> On 25/07/2020 07.06, Andy Townsend wrote:
>> Why do people in OSM map anything?  I can't see any reason why I'd
>> want to add urban buildings, or comprehensive address data, or a
>> whole bunch of other things that people think are _really important_.
>

> How are addresses _not_ important? If I'm trying to find 123 Cherry
> Lane, I really, really appreciate if that entity actually exists in OSM.

What I was trying to say was that different people perceive different
things in OSM as being "important" - there's no universal list.  That's
why for that example I deliberately chose two types of data that I know
people spend lots of time adding (even if I don't, much), and OSM is
much the richer for all that added data.

> For me, it's probably power lines that seem useless, but someone else
> probably has a use case where having those mapped is really helpful.
> (Maybe someone planning to buy a house wants to know, without having
> to drive there, if there are high-voltage power lines nearby?)

Well like many walkers I use those for navigation :)

Best Regards,

Andy