[Tagging] FWD: Re: narrow=yes, vs lanes=1, vs width

brad bradhaack at fastmail.com
Mon Jul 27 23:36:53 UTC 2020

On 7/27/20 11:19 AM, Rob Savoye wrote:
> On 7/27/20 11:00 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> I'd go with highway=track and tracktype=*, surface=* and smoothness=*
>> tags as necessary.  Given how inconsistent the 3 and especially 4 digit
>> US forest service roads tend to be, I'd expect tracktype and smoothness
>> are underutilized despite their relative importance on those roads.
>    That's roughly what I've been doing, Drive or hike there, and decide
> on the values for those tags while standing there. I'm still curious
> about "narrow" though. :-) I don't think smoothness gets rendered
> though, and everything is usually a grade2, so somewhat meaningless.
I'm in central Colorado, & around here, I agree, tracktype is not
useful, the tracks here are mostly solid, grade 2 or 3, but could be a
high clearance, or 4wd road due to rocks and ledges.
However, smoothness could, and should be rendered.   The old maps
usually distinguished between
improved - smoothness=bad or better than bad
high clearance - smoothness=very_bad (the wiki specifically mentions
high clearance for this tag)
4wd - smoothness=horrible

In my area an almost bigger issue is that a lot of roads shown on OSM,
and on the county GIS, are actually private and closed.   That may not
be an issue for you though, if you have an emergency, and bolt cutters.

In regards to your initial question, I've never seen the key narrow
used, or lanes on an unpaved road.   I think width would be better. That
probably wouldn't get rendered either, I've never considered it.