[Tagging] FWD: Re: narrow=yes, vs lanes=1, vs width

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 04:47:06 UTC 2020

On 27/07/2020 17.59, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
> Jul 27, 2020, 21:55 by rob at senecass.com:
>> I assume if the highway has no name, it'd be highway=service, but if
>> it has a county name, like "Lost Gulch Road" too, wouldn't it then be
>> highway=residential? Is there a difference if it's vacation cabins, or
>> seasonal or full-time houses ?
>
> Maybe "named therefore residential, service otherwise" makes
> sense in your region, but in some places (for example Poland)
> there are named service roads and unnamed residential roads.

If the road leads to houses, residential probably makes sense. The
reason I want to chime in here, though, is that *in general* I agree
with this last comment. TIGER seems to label everything that isn't
primary/secondary/tertiary as "residential", but per the wiki,
residential is supposed to only be used for roads that are, well
*residential*, i.e. are leading to or fronted by *residences*.

Personally, when I see stuff like
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/734188025, I re-tag it highway=service
or highway=unclassified. That road (apparently¹) has a name, but it's
clearly *not* a residential road; it's the access road to a strip mall.

(¹ Seeing as https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/50738336 is apparently
"also" Southside Drive, I would question the name on way 734188025, but
I can't get there right now to do a survey. However, that's sort of
beside the point.)

TL;DR: I assume that Rob had an unstated "if it leads to residences" in
there, and probably should have stated it, because the rest of the
assertion is only valid *with* that assumption.

--
Matthew