[Tagging] Orange County, California Building and Address Import

Tod Fitch tod at fitchfamily.org
Tue Jul 28 14:52:03 UTC 2020

I became aware that Orange County, California has released building outline and address data to public domain [1] and started prep work for import to OSM. In reading through the import guidelines [2] it seemed the process was:

1. Create a workflow (but don’t do any actual importing at this stage).
2. Document the workflow in both a dedicated wiki page and in the import catalog [3]
3. Announce to the tagging list and the list for the area, in this case talk-us, the proposed import.
4. Once comments on the proposed import have been addressed, commence the import (documenting progress along the way).

To that end, I have reviewed the data. Processed sample portions to the point just short of uploading to OSM to verify I think the workflow is okay.

This is where I am at present:

1. I’ve reviewed the data and decided that a rather slow manual process is needed because of the low quality of the building outlines.
2. I’ve created a workflow and tested to the point where I think it will result in a good quality import.
3. I’ve created a GitHub project containing the description and scripts I am using [4].
4. I started to create a wiki page containing the same description but found an existing import page for the same data [5]

At this point I am paused and looking for guidance as there is another import proposed for this data. I don’t see evidence that this other import has actually started.

I have added a discussion item to that import page expressing my concern about building footprint quality and the steps that will be needed to bring it up to standard and given my GitHub project page link.

But I am confused.

I thought that imports needed to be added to the catalog. This import is not in the table at present.

I thought that import specific user IDs were required. This import pages states “The plan is for most OSM mappers to use their standard OSM accounts if they are editing with RapiD and JOSM editors. . .”

I thought that imports needed to be announced in this import list. Looking though the archives [6] for the last few months, I don’t see it.

So, do I continue with my import plan with the next step being creating a new wiki page for it? Or do I wait for ERSI to do an import then verify the quality? I don’t see a way to participate with ERSI listed in the import wiki page they’ve created.

Thanks for the guidance!

Tod Fitch

[1] https://data-ocpw.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/8db4b58e6bbf4f6cac676f477348be48_0
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines