[Tagging] How to map "piers" on land?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jul 28 21:49:50 UTC 2020

Jul 28, 2020, 22:09 by pla16021 at gmail.com:

> On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 at 20:44, Matthew Woehlke <> mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com> > wrote:
>
>> Please see >> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/651244930>> . This is a pier
>>  with a platform on land that extends into the water. Carto cuts off the
>>  part that is on land.
>>

> There is no part of a pier on land.  Not according to the wiki

In such case likely wiki should be fixed. Pier may have also section over
land.

> : "A pier is a raised
> walkway over water..." and "Lastly, connect the pier with other ways on land,
> otherwise it will result in a "island" that can't be used for routing."

Or you overintepret it
"raised walkway over water" may be interpreted as "main part is over water"
or as "not even smallest part is over land".

Similarly "bridge over river" does not mean that only part directly above river
is a bridge, typical bridge has also parts over land.

The same with viaduct over road/railway.

"connect the pier with other ways on land" does not imply that pier
has no section over land.

> Just because
> the surface the person walks on is continuous doesn't make the bit
> that's on land a pier.

In case of continued structure I would consider it as a part of pier.