[Tagging] How to map "piers" on land?

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Wed Jul 29 14:57:26 UTC 2020

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 at 09:47, Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com> wrote:
> So... back to my *other* question: how should a raised wooden platform
> on land be tagged? For example:
>
> https://www.pitztal.com/sites/default/files/styles/adaptive/public/thumb_5101_lightbox.jpeg
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/Laguna_Mountains%2C_California%2C_observation_area_2015.jpg

There is bridge=boardwalk
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:bridge%3Dboardwalk which would
seem to match at least the second image to me.

The first is a bit of a stretch since it's not exactly a far walk, but
seems to be related closely enough? I'd probably mark it as a short
bridge way with a viewpoint at end node, or a bridge area with the
viewpoint tag on the entire area (highway=pedestrian + area=yes +
bridge=boardwalk + tourism=viewpoint?) and a bench node in the middle.

--Jarek