[Tagging] kerb=regular vs. raised

Supaplex supaplex at riseup.net
Wed Jul 29 18:56:35 UTC 2020

Hey all,

I started mapping detailed sidewalk information in my area, including
crossing and kerb information. It seems that there is a lack of clarity
in the differentiation between raised and regular ("normal", neither
lowered nor raised) kerbs. "kerb=regular" is already in use but is
undocumented and should be explicitly distinguished from "kerb=raised".
There is a relevant difference not only for wheelchair users, but also
for other mobility groups (cargo bikes, strollers, pedestrians with
reduced mobility…).

So I propose adding "kerb=regular" to the tagging list in the wiki as
well as suitable descriptions for height, use… and an example image. I
made a suggestion in the wiki (since there has been no reaction so far I
post it here):
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:kerb#kerb.3Dregular_vs._raised_--_add_.22regular.22_example

Is there a reason not to add this? Otherwise I’ll do that.

Greets, Alex