[Tagging] Should admin_level=1 tag be applied to EU?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jul 30 07:44:33 UTC 2020

Hi,

in my view, the EU is not an administrative body with a border and many
parts (countries), but instead the countries have made a contract to
form the EU.

I would therefore object to mapping the EU as an entity with a boundary;
instead, if it were mapped, I would expect it to be a relation of
yet-to-be-defined type and having the individual member states as
relation members.

I know there's a tendency among some mappers to try and map
multipolygons or administrative boundaries for anything that has a name,
but that practice is not helpful. I don't even dare to look but I
wouldn't be surprised if some helpful soul has meanwhile decided to map
"the Atlantic", "the Pacific", or "Eurasia", assembling thousands of
little coastline pieces into giant relations in painstaking, week-long
work... sigh.

Bye
Frederik