[Tagging] Should admin_level=1 tag be applied to EU?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 30 11:32:47 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-30 12:26, Alan Mackie wrote:

> IMO the logic behind putting the EU as admin_level=1 would have meant that the United States of America, the USSR and Australia would have been made admin_level=1 when they were formed from their preceding entities (if OSM had existed at those times).
>
> I would suggest that contrary to the preceding thread: if and when the EU becomes as unified as the above examples it would make more sense to put the EU as a whole as admin_level=2 and add one to all boundaries of the states and subareas already mapped within it.

There's nothing magic about the actual numbers of course. It's about the
relationships between the levels in a hierarchy, some measure of  global
uniformity and consistency, and also about parallel hierarchies which
may or may not be related to each other.

The EU is «composed-of» whole member states. It has all the attributes
of a governmental administrative body - with the executive, parliament
and justicial branches impacting citizens directly. I would say it
deserves a place in the OSM admin hierarchy, at a higher level than the
member states; admin_level=1 is the obvious choice.