[Tagging] Should admin_level=1 tag be applied to EU?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 13:26:39 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 30. Jul 2020, at 14:04, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>
> To me as a citizen of a EU country it does not feel like the EU is a
> higher-level administrative body than the country. Yes, countries have
> decided to contractually transfer some rights and responsibilities to
> the EU but that doesn't (in my mind) mean the EU is some form of
> super-state. Quitting the EU if you don't like it is much easier than
> seceding from a country.

To me it is not a question how easy it is for a nation to leave the supranational entity. The EU does have legislative and jurisdictional powers above the member countries, guidelines they issue have to be converted into national law, and the European Court is above the national courts.

Cheers Martin