[Tagging] food forests / forest gardening

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 09:32:01 UTC 2020

Thanks Joseph,

I think that is a good idea. Even if the "form" is not really orchard-like,
the "function" absolutely is. And the key is already in use and documented.
I'll go with this for now.

Op do 30 jul. 2020 om 16:41 schreef Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>:

> A landuse=orchard is any area of perennial shrubs and trees which is used
> to produce food. In the tropics this tag is used for bananas tea and
> coffee, and oil date palms, all of which are not exactly “orchards” in the
> British sense. This was proposed in the original vote.
>
> So if Wikipedia is correct that  “ The three main products from a forest
> garden are fruit, nuts and green leafy vegetables
> <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_vegetable>.“ it is probably mainly
> landuse=orchard + landuse=farmland as a secondary use.
>
> I also see that these are called a “huerto familiar” in Mexico, which
> literally means “family orchard”.
>
> Perhaps landuse=orchard + orchard=forest_garden would work?
>
> Note that we previously discussed a similar issue with areas that are used
> as orchards + pasture in Spain, if I recall
>
> Since almost any 2 types of agricultural land can be combined, it might be
> better to think about a wholistic solution, since as a way to tag the
> secondary landuse or secondary vegetation of a certain area.
>
> - Joseph
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 7:22 AM Justin Tracey <j3tracey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2020-07-30 7:40 a.m., Paul Allen wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 12:34, joost schouppe <joost.schouppe at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Someone tried to map a "food forest" near me.
>>>

>> The best I could come up with, given that it described itself as part
>> orchard,
>> was landuse=orchard.  If we ever come up with a more appropriate tag I'll
>> change it.
>>
>> --
>> Paul
>>

>> Forest gardens are definitely not orchards. For one, they're designed to
>> resemble (or be) natural ecologies as much as possible, and therefore look
>> very different; and two, most of the food in them doesn't actually come
>> from the trees (or rather, doesn't come directly from the trees -- again,
>> the point is to be a healthy ecology), so they function and operate very
>> differently.
>>

>>  - Justin

Joost Schouppe
OpenStreetMap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |