[Tagging] Conditional destinations (hgv, bicycle, maxweight…)

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Fri Jul 31 16:00:40 UTC 2020

Hi David,

On 31.07.20 15:53, David Marchal via Tagging wrote:
> Hello, there.
>
> I'm wondering, there are destination signs which only apply to some kind
> of vehicles: for HGV, for bicycles, for pedestrians, for vehicles below
> 12t… How would I tag such destinations? The simple way would be to use,
> respectively, destination:hgv=*, destination:bicycle=*,
> destination:foot=*, destination:conditional="* @ weight<12". Am I right
> to assume these?

Yes, I agree. 'destination:bicycle' is already used "a bit".
I would try to stay with the simple vehicle types and use conditionals
as rarely as possible.
That's actually what I also mentioned in my 'destination' summary some
years ago:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Mueschel/DestinationTagging#:forward.2C_:backward_and_:lanes

But, one word of caution: I think we shouldn't add too much detail here.
For actual routing we don't need this information as it should use
actual access rules - which are in most cases present somewhere along
the route. The only actual reason to have this in the database (IMHO) is
to have a proper display of destination signs.

> If so, some examples:
> [...]
> Is that correct?

They all seem correct to me. One exception is 'destination:fee' for the
'paege' addition. We use the tag 'toll' on roads, so the destination-tag
should use this as well. On the other hand, we could also tag it as
destination:symbol = paege. This seems easier to extent to other toll
systems like the Austrian or Swiss "Vignette" and there respective symbols.

I'm not familiar with French rules, but is it the actual weight or the
allowed total weight of the vehicle that matters? If it's the latter,
you can use 'weightrating' instead of 'weight'.

> Can I edit the Wiki destination tag page to give these
> informations, or maybe should I submit a RFC to formalize this?

The whole 'destination' eco-system of tags was established without
voting on anything. What we currently lack most is a proper documentation.
But, the tags you propose here are just what follows naturally from
existing tagging schemes - e.g. transportation types can be added after
a key to restrict it to a certain vehicle type. In so far I don't see
the need for a dedicated proposal here.

Jan