[Tagging] addr:street for routes

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Fri Jul 31 22:06:37 UTC 2020

On 7/31/2020 4:24 PM, Sarah Hoffmann wrote:

> Put one of the variants into addr:street and then all the variants
> as alternative names onto the road. Obviously that stretch of road
> is referred to under all these names, so this is what we should map.

Putting aside the question of *which* variant to put into `addr:street`,
this sounds like an approach that could work. But we might end up with
something like `alt_name=Highway 214;Route 214;State Highway 214;New
York 214;NY-214;New York State Route 214` (or the name_1 ... name_n
equivalents). I could live with that if it actually helped the geocoding
but it's not exactly graceful.

Ultimately, though, these are alternate names for the route, not for the
stretch of road. (Which might have its own list of names! For instance,
a particular stretch of Ulster County Route 40 is known as Main Street,
Plank Road, Old Plank Road, Old Route 28, and Mount Tremper-Phoenicia Road.)

> It really doesn't matter that the road has officially no name. The
> goal is to map what's on the ground.

For the road itself, what's on the ground is simply the highway shield
with the number 214. There's no textual version of the name anywhere
(except as used for the addresses of residences and POIs.) Best practice
for these sorts of roads, I'm told, is to omit `name=*`, tag `ref=*`,
and add to a route relation.

For the addresses along the road, the vast majority are signed with just
a housenumber, and those POI signs that do include a street name are
inconsistent. Government data sources are also inconsistent.

But an on-the-ground mapper can observe that those housenumbers belong
to this road, which here is known only by its route number. I feel there
should be a way to encode that observation without asking the mapper to
choose a particular textual representation of the route's name...
especially since it's hard to do that in a consistent manner.

(Whatever the solution, my aim here is to get an address search that works!)

Jason