Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 11:17:46 UTC 2020

Mark,
can you tell us the place? The photo seems to show a US city, but which one?
Even at thrìe small scale of the image I can see several traces that look
very much like ex-railway tracks (it's easy  in US cities as they do not
follow the block structure).

Please don't forget that I am not saying that we should map every single
ex-railway, I am only asking do not remove them, where someone has inserted
them.
Ex-railway corridors are often major landscape objects, in that sense they
are part of the geography. The argument has been made in this discussion
here; to map an ex-railway, only by mapping every remaining trace of it
(embankments,  roads; buildings only) but "seeing the e-railway is often
far easier on aerial photographs than on maps that's why it is helpful to
sometimes to add in the map even completely razed bits of ex.railways to
tie the visible bits together.

I invite you all to have a look at the excellent web site "
bahntrassenradwege.de <http://www.bahntrassenradwege.de>". Has nothing to
do with OSM, but illustrates why documenting ex.railways is important and
can also have a big impact on the economy when converted to a bicycle
tourist attraction.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>