[Tagging] Adding mapillary tags to every building

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 12:54:14 UTC 2020

I think having a photo of every building, as well as other features like
public sculptures, memorials, bus stations would be very useful. You would
be able to click a building, and know what it looks like.

I had an idea to make an app that shows you a map, and you would click on a
building, take a photo which would go to Mapillary, take the ID of the
photo, and put it in OSM in a mapillary=* tag. Since there is an app that
does a very similar thing, StreetComplete, I made a suggestion to add that
functionality. But the dev told me that makes no sense, taking a photo of
every building makes no sense because it's too much. Here's the issue:

https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete/issues/1883

If he doesn't want that in his app, that's ok, but my question is, does
this community think this would be ridiculous or not? Would Mapillary be
the right service to host the photos? I thought I would suggest this same
functionality to OsmAnd because they already use Mapillary to show close by
photos of a feature, but now I'm not sure if OSM would even want this. I
think this would be a big advantage over other map databases.

Thanks for the opinion!

Janko