[Tagging] Adding mapillary tags to every building

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Jun 4 13:49:17 UTC 2020

Jun 4, 2020, 14:54 by janjko at gmail.com:

> does this community think this would be ridiculous or not?

Mapillary has images geolocated anyway, so if someone wants to use Mapillary it seems
unnecessary.

>  Would Mapillary be the right service to host the photos?

No. Note https://www.mapillary.com/pricing

You have right to use your own images, AFAIK there is also a special permission
for OSM mapping but otherwise images are owned by them.

Uploading images on a free license to Wikimedia Commons is strictly preferable
in case of manual making images of important objects.

For dumps of automated imagery, Mapillary seems acceptable if there
is no open alternative. But given their model I am not planning to work for them for free
and I am not enthusiastic about them.

> I thought I would suggest this same functionality to OsmAnd because they already use Mapillary to show close by photos of a feature, but now I'm not sure if OSM would even want this. I think this would be a big advantage over other map databases.

Is it really necessary? "give image for location [lat, lon] from direction X" seems a
basic functionality for service like Mapillary.