Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 03:01:37 UTC 2020

On 6/6/20 8:02 am, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> I need to reopen this thread.
>
>  I do object strongly to the invitation to remove the
> razed/dismantled-railway tag in the case of railway tracks have been
> replaced by roads with the same geometry. To the contrary this is one
> of the more fortunate cases where the original route has been
> conserved, and it is easy to travel along a historical railroad.
> I admit that I have a faible for industrial archeology (like former
> railways, watermills, old canals) but they do have touristic value and
> for that reason should be in OSM.

As a general tourist I would have no interest in traveling along a
railway route here nothing remains of the railway.

If something remains then map the remains, not the bits that no longer
exist.

Where an old railway route passes through private residential houses,
commercial buildings, car parking area .. I don't think that should be
in OSM yet people map it...

A historian/archeologist may have interest in documenting the old
railway route and facilities, they can and should use OHM.

.