[Tagging] Reviving the path discussion - the increasing, importance of trails in OSM

Richard ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 21:35:24 UTC 2020

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 09:20:43AM +1000, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> > mtb:scale)
> > enough
> > >
> > >  As a climber, I don't think we'd want to apply YDS to hiking trails.
> > > To me, YDS should only used for technical routes requiring equipment
> > > (usually).
> >
> > As a Sierra Club member in Southern California (where the YDS originated
> > long before my time), a hiker and a former climber I must mention that 1,
> > 2, 3, and 4 on the YDS are basically levels of difficulty in hiking.
> > Climbers really only work with 5 and its various subdivisions. Ruling out
> > the whole scale simply because one level of it is dedicated to climbing is
> > a bit much.
> >
> > OTOH, the Australians have a bush walking scale that does not, from what
> > I’ve seen, include levels for climbing so that might be choice that does
> > not automatically connote a different outdoor activity.
> >

> So would we try & combine a walking scale & a climbing / alpine scale into
> one, or have two scales?
>
> Two would probably make a lot more sense, with "Walking / Hiking" 1 - 5,
> then sac starting at about 4/5.

.. and don't forget via ferrata's have their own scale, athough they *should*
be using higway=via_ferrata - and climbing routes *should* be using route=climbing????

> Something else that I've just thought about & not sure whether it would
> need to be mentioned - possibility of encountering dangerous wildlife?
>
> Yes, there are 1000 things in the Australian bush that'll kill you :-), but
> none of them will actually eat you! (not even Drop Bears!
> https://australianmuseum.net.au/learn/animals/mammals/drop-bear/ :-)) Same
> applies to (virtually?) all of Western Europe, but how about North America,
> Africa, Asia & so on? Do we have / need a way of tagging that bears (or
> whatever) may be encountered while walking in this area?

as most of the bears here should have a GPS transmitter there should be
a live map displaying areas where they might be encountered (don't think anyone
will release their exact position as it might encourage idiots seeking
an adrenaline push or poachers).

Richard