Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 01:30:43 UTC 2020

On 7/6/20 1:52 am, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 6. Jun 2020, at 03:58, Jack Armstrong <jacknstacy at sprynet.com> wrote:
>>

>> The wiki permits the mapping of reality, on-the-ground, as it is in
>> the world today. OSM should reflect what exists today, not decades
>> ago. If there is something that remains of a previous railroad, then
>> it can be mapped in some way. If there is /*nothing* *remaining*/ of
>> what used to be a railroad, it should be out-of-scope.
>

> whether you find traces might depend how hard you look for them. In
> most cases there will be something left of a railroad, but you might
> not be able to recognize it or you will simply not see it because the
> traces are rare.

How hard you look for them? I would hope that does not extend to ground
penetrating radar that is used to find old buildings that used to exist?

Where something has been demolished and replaced with something else,
should the old thing remain in OSM?

And yes I am thinking of old railway routes that have gone and been
replaced with roads/rail trails etc.

To me - the old thing is no longer there, the new thing has overlay-ed
it and replaces it. If people want to map old things .. well their place
should be in OHM not OSM.