Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 12:28:35 UTC 2020

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 at 12:41, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Jun 8, 2020, 13:18 by pla16021 at gmail.com:
>
> Have these objects left traces or not?
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52911797
> Are they mappable?
>
> But verifying it seems problematic at best.

Unless there is a requirement that anything mapped by aerial imagery must
be compared in two independent sets of imagery, I don't see a problem.  We
have aerial imagery of these (but whether or not it is ever made available
us under appropriate copyright terms is another matter).  Verification is a
matter of somebody else looking at the same imagery and reaching the
same conclusion.

> I see why mapping it could be exciting but It am very dubious about it and
> would be against doing that.

I doubt the imagery will be released in a form we can use.  But it might be.

> (for reference in Poland there is now a discussion about importing index
> of archeological sites,decision seems to be to import ones where terrain
> shape remained and to not
> import ones visible only as discoloration of vegetation visible on aerial
> images)

I wouldn't map vegetation discolouration as indicative of anything because I
don't have the expertise to tell what it means.  But if experts at a
governmental
heritage organization determine that the discolouration is the result of a
particular
historical feature and designates it as a nationally important
archaeological
site then I might map it as such (that designation would put it under legal
protection and it would be a criminal act to dig it up).

--
Paul