[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - 3rd and 4th rail

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 9 13:36:54 UTC 2020

Great idea. Not sure about using "3rd" and "4th" though - it's a bit
tightly coupled to the English language and possibly prone to error.
Wouldn't "3rail" and "4rail" fit the bill?

Actually, as electrified=rail is so widely used at present, how about
making that explicitly "3rd rail" and introducing a new value for the
4-rail system?

How would we indicate the voltage/frequency of the two rails
independently? On the London Underground it's mostly +420/-210 (these
days +500/-250) but there are some areas where +750/0 is used
(Richmond-Gunnersbury for example).

While we are at it, could we take the opportunity to find a way to
represent three-phase dual-overhead systems (Switzerland etc) as well?

Colin