[Tagging] Help explain the difference between path and track

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:22:14 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 3:02 PM brad <bradhaack at fastmail.com> wrote:

> A track does have a different function, it can handle a 2 track vehicle, a
> path can't.

Yes, a "track" has a different function, its function is for agriculture or
forestry.

A wide path on the other hand has the same function as a narrow path.

> If functional is sacrosanct,  why do we have motorway?   A motorway could
> just be a trunk or primary with extra tags denoting limited access.

That is a good question.  But it was stated on this list just a couple of
weeks ago that the highway=* tag was a functional classification, "except
for motorway"....