[Tagging] Help explain the difference between path and track

António Madeira antoniomadeira at gmx.com
Wed Jun 10 16:25:16 UTC 2020

Às 06:03 de 10/06/2020, Martin Koppenhoefer escreveu:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 10. Jun 2020, at 02:31, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In terms of function, 'track' and 'service' (with or without
>> 'driveway') are practically interchangeable - at least in terms of
>> what they provide to the road network. They're both distinguished by
>> the fact that they don't 'go anywhere'. They typically serve only a
>> single establishment - public roads that serve multiple establishments
>> are typically at least 'unclassified'.
>
> +1 for service, while tracks may actually “go somewhere”, they might be usable as through ways, but they are not considered “roads“ in some jurisdictions at least.
>
> service roads are for accessing something (are not part of the connection grid), while tracks may (according to the regional situation) form a kind of „second grid“ (for agricultural purposes, but eventually open to cyclists, hikers, etc. as well).
>
> Cheers Martin

I agree with Martin here. I rarely map a track that goes nowhere, but I
always map a track that connects to another track or to the main grid.
On the other hand, a service road almost always goes nowhere. Either
ends on a private estate or is just used as an access link to a company,
industry or amenity.
If a motor vehicle can and uses the way, it's a track. If not, it's a
path, which only people and bicycles can use in an normal manner. Maybe
this is not as straightforward in other countries, but in Portugal
there's rarely any doubt about this.

Regards,
António.