[Tagging] Do we map pedestrian crossings twice?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Jun 10 19:18:08 UTC 2020

Jun 10, 2020, 19:59 by jacknstacy at sprynet.com:

> To be added to the wiki (from the approved proposal):
>

> When a highway=crossing node is present on the main road, a way connecting the sidewalks on the two sides of the road should be mapped. This way should be tagged as follows:
>

> highway=footway
>

> footway=crossing
>

> To be deleted from the wiki:
>

> footway=crossing and cycleway=crossing are sometimes used on ways which lead from a sidewalk to the crossing node (the node which has this highway=crossing tag). This is not the preferred way of tagging.
>

> On a personal note, I don’t want to map one element twice (once on the way and once on the node - for a single crossing), but the approved proposal contradicts my personal method of mapping. I feel that the tagged node tells both vehicles and pedestrians this is a crossing, but the wiki should be consistent with what is approved by the OSM community.

I edited https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dcrossing#How_to_map
a bit in attempt to clarify that this additional way applies only in cases of separately mapped sidewalks.

"This is not the preferred way of tagging." was left and I support its removal.

I oppose "This way should be tagged as follows: highway=footway", it should be also mentioned
that "highway=path + footway=sidewalk" may be correct (in case of bicycle=designated foot=designated)