[Tagging] Features underwater (inside reservoirs)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 00:11:38 UTC 2020

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 00:36, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/6/20 11:12 pm, Paul Allen wrote:
>
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 02:13, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/6/20 9:30 pm, Paul Allen wrote:
>>
>> From those, it appears that the condition is free-form text except for
>> cases
>> like opening hours.
>>
>> Opening_hours provides for free form text.
>>
> I expressed my point unclearly.  It appears from the examples that the
> condition is free-form text.  However, when the condition specifies
> opening hours then those hours should be expressed in the standard
> form for opening_hours.  That opening_hours allows free-form text is
> a digression.  Unless you were seriously suggesting that we
> abuse opening_hours as a way of introducing free-form text into
> a condition even though it appears (to me, at least) that conditions
> permit free-form text anyway.
>
> ? Abuse opening_hours by 'introducing' free form text? It is allowed, so
> not an introduction nor an abuse.

Yes, but using opening_hours without giving any times as a way of
fiddling free-form text into a tag would be abusing it, in my opinion.
Especially if there are other ways of doing it.

> I was not aware that condition allowed free form text. Both tags are
> poorly documented for this on the wiki.

Indeed.  I had to look through the examples for conditions to convince
myself
that free-form text was allowed.  If it had been just one example I'd have
worried that it had slipped in by mistake, but there are enough of them
to convince me that whoever put them there believed free-form text
was allowed and that nobody objected to those examples.

Do you concur that a conditional such as "(low water)" is permissible?  If
> so, do you agree that it is a better solution than "seasonal" or
> "intermittent"?
>
> Yes, I think so, but the documentation for free form text is not clear. Is
> open_hours better? I don't know.

If the bridge were usable at certain specified hours then open_hours would
probably be better.  But there is no fixed time when it is passable.

> Using "seasonal" is unhelpful because low water is possible (if unlikely)
> during all seasons.  Using "intermittent" is somewhat better.
>
> But both "seasonal" and "intermittent" are (currently) only defined as
> applying to water(ish) features themselves, not to things that are under
> those features.  Changes would have to be made to routers to allow
> either seasonal or intermittent to be interpreted correctly when applied
> to ways.  Routers already (I hope) interpret conditionals.
>
>  Some roads are closed in winter but this could be applied as either
> seasonal or conditional depending on the mapper.

Usually they are closed during a rainy season.  This bridge isn't always
passable
in the dry season.  Also, engineering work on the damn could mean the level
is low at some other time of year.  From the description in Wikipedia, it
doesn't feel seasonal to me.

--
Paul