[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - 3rd and 4th rail

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 13 18:18:34 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-13 18:58, Garry Keenor wrote:

> Colin,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> I want to clear one very important thing up. The tag electrified=* is currently being used in OSM to define the *contact system* in use, not the power supply. All railway electrification systems require a sliding contact between train and infrastructure to transfer electrical current.

OK fair point. You and I may have a more holistic view of the whole
complex ecosystem of components that are needed to make an electric
train move, but I can imagine the "general public" may well have a
narrower view and see the pantograph or contact shoe as the "power
supply to the train".

When tagging hyperloop and maglev systems there is often no *contact
system* as such I guess we should think of something like
"electrified=induction"?