[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - 3rd and 4th rail (Michael Reichert)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 11:20:09 UTC 2020

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 at 17:50, Garry Keenor <garry.keenor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul - thanks for the response. I struggle with the idea that someone
> would know that a route is electrified with a ground level contact system,
> but not how many rails there are. The possible sources are a) local
> knowledge,

Or local-ish knowledge.  On-line newspaper article saying the line has
been electrified (I'm local to me, and I know how to use the internet; the
newspaper is local to the line).

b) wikipedia

Never trust wikiepedia. :)

and c) aerial imagery.

Sometimes aerial imagery is crappy.  Good enough to see that there are
no gantries for carrying an overhead line but not good enough to count
rails. Unlikely, particularly on a long line, but possible.

> All of these will, 9 times out of 10, define the system. Also, there are
> only 2 networks that I can identify worldwide that are 4th rail, and I've
> tagged them both already. :-)

So when 8 more networks are converted to 4th rail, there's a risk that one
of
them (using your figures) can't be pinned down. :)

I assume that more networks will be converted over time, or new ones will
be built as 4th rail.  Or will they?

--
Paul