[Tagging] Should we map things that do not exist?

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Sun Jun 14 12:59:53 UTC 2020

Martin Koppenhoefer:

==
Warin, can you give an example for something historic that is not
there any more in reality and should be removed from OpenStreetMap?
Through all the years I have never encountered anything like this
mapped in OpenStreetMap.
==

I have deleted some powerlines tagged
as removed.

Typically because they have been removed and replaced with
underground lines, which are correctly mapped.

I might take a year before traces of the poles are completely gone as
farmes plow over the spots and put new crops there.

But lines in the air will be removed without a trace.

And of course highways are changed all the time.
When a 4-way intersection is replaced with a roundabout we de not keep
the four pieces of the road inside the roundabout tagged as razed. We
have the history for that.