[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - Qanat"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 23:35:18 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 20. Jun 2020, at 00:59, Joseph Guillaume <josephguillaume at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I just wanted to emphasise that this proposal isn't really about whether to tag qanats - it's about whether to tag them with man_made=qanat or waterway=canal+canal=qanat.
>
> There's already 1000 tagged, and they're very patchy geographically. It's quite likely there's upwards of 100,000
>
> It would be great to be able to formally deprecate man_made=qanat before it becomes de facto.
>
> Hopefully we can get enough interest in this issue for the vote to be convincing.

The issue with waterway=qanat could be that it is only applicable to those structures that still carry water, while many of them will not be in a working state, or maybe I’m misguided?

I could imagine using historic=aqueduct with a subtag aqueduct=qanat for all of them, and add the waterway tag to distinguish working from nonworking?

I’ve found a short article about these in Bal‘harm, a city in Sicily which is now better known by its current name Palermo: http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art154.htm

There’s a map that suggests there are really a lot of these underground tunnels, but the article also states that most aren’t in a working condition:

> In fact, fresh water still flows through some of the channels. Several were still in use well into the sixteenth century, long after the Arabs had melded into the general Sicilian population

Cheers Martin