[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - Qanat"

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Sat Jun 20 12:14:53 UTC 2020

I think this is a good idea.  Both in the sense of establishing a distinct tagging for it that does not engross qanats with other types of underground waterways and in the sense of using a non-English and non-European term where the most descriptive and clear term comes from a non-European language.  We have other cases of such tags in OSM but still in a proposal process which is dominantly discussed in English this is rare and kind of a litmus test for how culturally diverse tagging in OSM can be and if the cultural geography of non-European regions can be mapped in the classifications used locally just as we are used to doing it in Europe and North America.

Most existing uses of man_made=qanat by the way are in combination with waterway=canal.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/