[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - Qanat"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 18:23:10 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 20. Jun 2020, at 14:17, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:
>
> in the sense of using a non-English and non-European term where the most descriptive and clear term comes from a non-European language.  We have other cases of such tags in OSM but still in a proposal process which is dominantly discussed in English this is rare and kind of a litmus test for how culturally diverse tagging in OSM can be and if the cultural geography of non-European regions can be mapped in the classifications used locally just as we are used to doing it in Europe and North America.

I agree with this, maybe we can make the description even more explicit to underline that these are specific features with a specific temporal and cultural background and formal solution, not just any underground aqueducts. It’s a tag in arab language because it was developed in Persia and brought into the territories that “they“ settled/conquered.

Cheers Martin