[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - Qanat"

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 18:42:50 UTC 2020

> Most existing uses of man_made=qanat by the way are in combination with
waterway=canal.

Thank you for mentioning this. There are only 5 ways with man_made=qanat,
without waterway=* - https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Viq

I will update the proposal page with this information.

So there is no debate about whether or not to tag these features with
waterway=canal.

We are deciding whether or not the additional tag should be man_made=qanat
or canal=qanat.

Since waterway=canal is currently used for all kinds of irrigation canals
and aqueducts, it makes sense to consider these irrigation features to be a
type of canal.

I have previously considered whether or not it might be sensible to create
a whole new value of waterway=* for aqueducts and irrigation canals, but
that does not seem to solve any particular problems: irrigation canals can
be as narrow as 20 cm or as wide as 20 meters, as can aqueducts used for
drinking water, so tagging usage=irrigation and width=*, while using the
existing main tag, is probably reasonable.

– Joseph Eisenberg