[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - Qanat"

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Jun 21 08:03:33 UTC 2020

Jun 21, 2020, 09:50 by dieterdreist at gmail.com:

> sent from a phone
>

>> On 21. Jun 2020, at 02:26, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > In case of a well, as the aquifer is below your starting point, I’d think you would need some kind of pump and not just gravity (at the beginning)?
>>
>> Look at the diagram: >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qanat#/media/File:Qanat-3.svg>>  or >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qanat#/media/File:Qanat_cross_section.svg
>>
>> The first part of qanat, on the uphill side, is alway slightly higher than the point where it exits the hill. The water flows downhill by gravity.
>>

> right, then where is the well? Isn’t this always about getting the water from the aquifer? And if it is a well as stated as a possibility in the wiki, how can it work with just gravity? A well means a hole dug into the ground to get access to water below the point where you are, not?

See
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/44/Qanat_cross_section.svg/1920px-Qanat_cross_section.svg.png
and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qanat#Technical_features

"the origin of the qanat was a well that was turned into an artificial spring"

On the diagram it is labelled as as "mother well" on the left

>  A well means a hole dug into the ground to get access to water below the point where you are, not?

and quanat is an underground channel starting from water level of a well, see linked diagram