[Tagging] historic memorial (was Re: "Feature Proposal - RFC - Qanat")

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 11:51:05 UTC 2020

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 at 06:21, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:

> What about a plate that remembers a police officer that was killed in 2002?

I would have no problem tagging it as historic=memorial.

It is indisputably a memorial.  Looking backwards in time, history
began 1E-43 seconds ago.  "Historic" is not a synonym for "old" but
(loosely) for "recorded event."

If you disagree with that, then how else can we tag a recent memorial?
We don't have any other means of tagging it as a memorial (that I can find).

But if you do find an alternative tag for it, or create one, at which point
do we retag a POI from "not a historic memorial" to "historic memorial"
since
you would also have to define a cut-off.  Is it 2 years, 20 years, 200
years?

So I'm fine with using historic=memorial for a plaque that was put in place
20 years ago.  Or yesterday.  Or an hour ago.  Or 1E-43 seconds ago.

--
Paul