[Tagging] How are protected_area (and national_park) boundaries determined?

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 00:09:36 UTC 2020

Here in Australia they started off as rough areas based on local knowledge
and signage on the ground but now have mostly been replaced with imported
open data from the government.These legally declared boundaries are usually
declared based on parcels from the cadastre and so the open data usually
matches up with the cadastral polygons. A lot of these boundaries came from
CAPAD data https://www.environment.gov.au/land/nrs/science/capad which is a
federal level database which collates a lot of the federal and state based
protected areas in Australia.

If the parcel is privately owned it'll usually be excluded from the
national park, eg
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-33.79587/151.15666 where
you can see houses sandwiched between national park boundaries.

It even goes so far to exclude some road corridors which aren't legally
part of the national park, even though most people would consider
themselves to be in the national park when driving through. As can be seen
at https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/-34.15149/151.03035 these road
corridors don't even align with where the actual road was built, but that
could be an error in the cadastre data, anyway this is all beside the point.