[Tagging] How are protected_area (and national_park) boundaries determined?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Jun 24 00:17:21 UTC 2020

Jun 24, 2020, 00:31 by dieterdreist at gmail.com:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 23. Jun 2020, at 17:20, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In other countries, how are National Park and other protected_area boundaries determined? If there are villages or towns within the boundary, are they actually protected? Are they excluded from the area?
>>

> in Italy or Germany, the boundaries of protected areas typically either exclude builtup areas or if they are included, there are typically explicit special explanations/provisions for these areas. (there might be exceptions to this, but this is what I have seen).

In Poland builtup areas are rarely included into national park, nature reserves etc
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1984482#map=16/49.5389/20.2076&layers=N
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/10907997#map=15/49.6109/19.5171

But sometimes small villages may be included, see
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2226518#map=16/49.3119/20.0665&layers=N

I am not sure about legal implications.

There are also areas called "Lamdscape Parks" ("Park Krajobrazowy") with very weak protections
that may include builtup areas and some regulations specifically target building construction restrictions
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4519978#map=15/50.0696/19.8576
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4519929#map=13/50.1526/19.9249