[Tagging] Automated edit of image tags suggestion

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jun 25 19:24:48 UTC 2020

Hi pangoSE,

On 6/25/20 19:57, pangoSE wrote:
> I recently started discussing the problems related to urls and
> File:filename.* that links to wikimedia_commons using the tag. See
> Talk:Key:image#Discourage_linking_to_commons_files_and_migrate_all_File:filename..2A_values_and_direct_urls_to_wikimedia_commons
> and tagging.

I'm afraid I do not follow.

> Algorithm 1Edit image=File:* -> wikimedia_commons=File:*
> image=Category:* -> wikimedia_commons=Category:*
> image=https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:* ->
> wikimedia_commons=File:*
> image=https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:* ->
> wikimedia_commons=Category:*

I don't understand why this is necessary. Would you, before changing an
"image=File:x" into "wikimedia_commons=File:x", even check whether the
file exists there?

There are currently 28k objects with wikimedia_commons in the database.
Your edit would treble that. I'm not convinced that automatic edits that
massively boost a niche tag are a good idea.

> There are some image= tags that link to multiple images separated by
> ";". These will be manually migrated to contain only one image that is
> not linking to commons and the rest in a note, note1, noteX if multiple
> urls.

Why on earth would you do that?

> image=File:* -> commons_file=File:* image=Category:* ->
> commons_category=Category:*
> image=https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:* -> commons_file=File:*
> image=https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:* ->
> commons_category=Category:*

I am not comfortable with inventing new tags to better match Wikimedia
Commons' namespace model. Remember, Wikimedia commons is, for us, just
one of many potential image providers. Would we want to introduce
various extra tags for each?

> There are some image= tags that link to multiple images separated by
> ";". These will be manually migrated to contain only one image that is
> not linking to commons and the rest in a note, note1, noteX if multiple
> urls.

Again, moving valid information into note tags which are free-form human
language is the worst idea of all. Parsing a semi-colon should be much
easier than parsing a note tag!

I am against the edit, and I also find the style of dumping an
unformatted wiki page onto the mailing list for discussion a bit
disrespectful.

Bye
Frederik