[Tagging] Automated edit of image tags suggestion

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 20:14:21 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 25. Jun 2020, at 19:59, pangoSE <pangose at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> image=File:* -> commons_file=File:* image=Category:* -> commons_category=Category:* image=https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:* -> commons_file=File:* image=https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:* -> commons_category=Category:*

splitting commons into files and categories (different keys) seems to be an improvement, although neither of these keys are existing at the moment. Following what we have so far, “wikimedia_commons_file” and “wikimedia_commons_ category“ would fit better, although a bit unwieldy.

From a datauser perspective, does it really improve the situation? Right now you have to check for 2 “main” keys: image and wikimedia_commons (leaving wikidata out for the moment), and then you can see what you find in the value (url, file: category: etc.) after your proposed edit you would have to check for more keys but could hope that the values would be better standardized. And you’d have to run a bot frequently to keep things “clean”.

Btw, there are also a few images tagged with a “flickr” key (~1200)
While it could eventually make sense to make an exception for wikimedia commons, I do not believe we should create a new key for every image hosting service.

Cheers Martin