[Tagging] Automated edit of image tags suggestion

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 08:01:51 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 26. Jun 2020, at 08:53, pangoSE <pangose at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> Is there anything preventing us from running bots (with simple
> algorithms) on the database? Wikimedia projects do that all the time. I
> rarely see this in OSM (besides the http/https bot)

We should be really reluctant, I see it all the time in wikidata: rubbish objects with lots of versions, mostly edited by bots, where the rubbish gets solidified until it seems even to a human that it might be somehow correct ;-)

iD edits with the name suggestion index also come very close to automatic  bot edits, because even if there is a mapper between iD and the db, in practice it doesn’t often seem to imply they are actually looking at it.
E.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7090473329/history version2

Cheers Martin