[Tagging] Path or track with many fallen trees

Kevin Broderick ktb at kevinbroderick.com
Fri Jun 26 12:44:42 UTC 2020

As you've described it, I generally agree with Andrew's suggestions.

I do also think that expected local conditions matter; I've mapped some old
woods roads that are primarily used by Jeep and ATV traffic at this point.
Generally speaking, folks traveling those types of roads expect to find
varying conditions, including the possibility of deadfall. Many, if not
most, carry at least a hand saw. On those types of roads, I don't generally
try to keep track of deadfall, as it tends to be there until someone
happens to come through with a saw; if I see evidence of somewhat-recent
(i.e. last 12 months) cutting, I tend to ignore deadfall that happened to
land since then.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 8:58 PM Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's a tricky one, but whatever is done I would need re-checking
> frequently to know when it was cleared.
>
> You could just add a single barrier=log somewhere as a rough
> approximation, or add barrier=log to the way segment which is affected.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier=log says it should only
> be used on a node, but if you don't know exactly where then I'd say using
> it on the way would be fine.
>
> You could also consider using one of the stages of decay lifecycle prefix
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lifecycle_prefix#Stages_of_decay eg
> disused:highway=track, where disused is "Not currently available for use,
> but could be reinstated easily".
>
> For a path my rule of thumb is sac_scale=demandig_mountain_hiking means
> you need to use your hands and arms to get over something, so if that's the
> case because of logs, then I'd tag it that way.
>
> Lastly you can add a description so users could be presented with a text
> notice about the way http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:description
>
> On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 at 09:46, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> How would you recommend tagging a path or track that has many fallen
>> trees across it? There are too many to map each one with a node tagged
>> barrier=log.  Foot travel is legal, but physically difficult.  Horse and
>> bicycle travel are legal but probably physically impossible.  Motorized
>> travel is prohibited, and would probably be physically impossible anyway.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your input.
>>
>> Mike

Kevin Broderick
ktb at kevinbroderick.com