[Tagging] Automated edit of image tags suggestion

Cj Malone me-osm-tagging at keepawayfromfire.co.uk
Fri Jun 26 13:06:16 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-06-25 at 22:14 +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Btw, there are also a few images tagged with a “flickr” key (~1200)
>
> While it could eventually make sense to make an exception for
> wikimedia commons, I do not believe we should create a new key for
> every image hosting service.

+1

I don't think `flickr` should be separate, if images in OSM are going
to be in multiple tags I think it should be based on the fetching
method. `flickr` is a standard URL, that the UserAgent sends a standard
HTTP request and gets a standard HTML response. That should be the
`image` tag. I think I'd argue the same for `mapillary` even though
they aren't currently stored as standard URLs, the rest is the same.

UserAgents that support it could then decide based on the URL if there
is an alternate way to fetch the images, like the Mapillary API and
easily fallback to a link when it doesn't.

There is another issue with `image` and that's that the UserAgent
doesn't know if it's going to receive a single raw image (eg image/png,
image/jpg), or a single image wrapped in HTML, or multiple images
wrapped in HTML. I've got an idea on how to solve this, using
the Accept HTTP header, but that relies on the image servers so I doubt
it'd get much traction.

Cj