[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - Qanat"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 13:43:02 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 26. Jun 2020, at 12:52, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A lot of the UK's sewer network is old.  Like a qanat, it channels water and
> has vertical shafts.  Little of that network, except some of the very first
> sewers in the UK, is of historical significance.

according to WP the London sewer system was developed from the late 19th century on. This is not “old” in a historic sense, looking at a city that has thousands of years of history. I don’t know about the rest of the country but I would suspect that it wasn’t ahead of London. Historic is of course relative, as is old. A 2 years old car is still quite new, 3 months old milk is quite old ;-)
A car from the 1920ies could likely be considered historic in any state, even as a wrack. Any water supplying infrastructure that is older than 100-200 years is likely historic anywhere in the world. Show me some ruins that are older than a few hundred years and are not “historic” but “just old”. It depends on the thing.

All this becomes even more relative if you look at actual usage of the historic key in OpenStreetMap :
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/historic#values

Cheers Martin