[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - shop=bubble_tea

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 22:40:45 UTC 2020

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 at 23:07, Jarek PiĆ³rkowski <jarek at piorkowski.ca> wrote:

> And then someone comes round and "upgrades tags" to match iD brand presets
> :)

Ah.

The actual problem (last time I tried upgrading tags with iD) is that it
doesn't
tell you what it's going to change, it doesn't tell you what it has
changed, it
just changes tags (almost behind your back).  The only way of knowing what
it's done is to memorise the raw tags before upgrading and compare that
with what you have after upgrading.  So, unless you're paying very close
attention you don't notice that iD has done something that might be
sub-optimal.

If iD showed you what it was going to do, people would notice it was
going to change "Starbucks Coffee" to "Starbucks" and might wonder
if that was the correct thing to do.  Some would probably accept it
anyway, assuming iD was right.  Some would assume the original
mapper got it wrong.  Others would assume the original mapper got
it right.

So making iD show proposed changes wouldn't stop this kind of thing
happening, but it might stop it happening as often.

Hmmmm.  I suppose iD could be made to take note of not:name
and not "upgrade" the name to Starbucks if you had hot:name=Starbucks.
I'd suggest it on github but I'm pretty sure I'm on their blacklist and
anything I post there is ignored by their filters.

--
Paul

mapper