[Tagging] Central European insight needed: cukrászda, cukrárna, cukiernia, ciastkarnia, cukráreň, pasticceria, konditorei, patisserie, ...

Gábor Fekete fekgabimr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 17:49:55 UTC 2020

> Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 16:09:37 +0100
> From: Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
>         <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Central European insight needed: cukrászda,
>         cukrárna, cukiernia, ciastkarnia, cukráreň, pasticceria,
>         konditorei, patisserie, ...
>
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 14:58, bkil <bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > We are leaning towards being dissatisfied with tagging as either
> > shop=pastry or amenity=cafe.
>

> Less of the "we." You may be dissatisfied with those tags, I am not.

[...]

Me too.  A cukrászda is definitely not a cafe in my opinion. A cukrászda
surely offers a wide variety of self-made sweets, probably coffee too. A
cafe, tagged with cuisine=cake, probably has a limited selection of cakes
(from unknown source).

[...]
> Add a craft=patisserie node.  I expect that a tourist in a strange town
> looking
> for a pastry shop because of hunger pangs would be more than happy to make
> a 30-minute side trip to go to an artisan pastry shop for a custom order
> (and
> wait however long it takes to bake it).  Such a devotee would be happy to
> write a cartographic style to ensure that two very close nodes render,
> because pastry shops are so VERY important in the scheme of things.

And what about the tourist, who makes a 30-minute side trip to go to a
coffee shop to eat some sweets, and finds only two kinds of marlenka in a
paper box?

[...]
> Except we already have tags for sweet shops, ice cream shops, and
> pastry shops.  You now propose lumping those all together in one
> top-level tag (which won't happen because there are too many to
> change) yet refuse to use shop=pastry with sub-tags because you
> think it is not specific enough.  Goldilocks didn't enounter a
> bowl of porridge that was simultaneously too hot and too cold
> yet you deem shop=pastry too specific yet not specific
> enough.

I share the opinion that some cukrászda*s* are not shops, they should be
tagged as amenity (but not amenity=cafe).

[...]
> Somebody called bkil proposed lumping all types of desserts under a
> single tag.  Maybe you should discuss this with him.  He thinks bakeries
> producing sweet pastry and cukrászda should be lumped together, along
> with shops selling ice cream and salty snacks.  Maybe you could spend
> time off-list arguing with bkil until you reach some sort of logically-
> consistent agreement.
>
> --
> Paul

Kind Regards,