[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - shop=bubble_tea

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 10:10:18 UTC 2020

The way I see it these are essentially vendors which primarily sell made to
order drinks and mostly take away only (although some provide seating).

I think it's better to have some kind of high level tag like amenity=drinks
or shop=drinks which you order at a counter (as opposed to shop=beverages
which is more a shop that has pre-made bottled drinks which you walk around
and add to your shopping basket).

The "bubble_tea" part should be left as the cuisine. This then caters for
the longtail of specific types of drinks which makes it much easier for
data consumers. It makes it easier when these places make a few different
kinds of drinks and not just bubble tea. Just around me there are the
traditional taiwainese bubble tea places, purple yogourt, other yogourt
drinks, fruit tea, blended juice. So a shop=drinks would cover them all
without needing a special top level tag for each, and you would add all the
specific types of drinks as cuisine (and possibly add cusine=taiwanese as
well).

While I've been tagging these as amenity=cafe and name-suggestion-index has
them as cafe, that's more just because we don't have a better tag and agree
that they aren't what at least I'd consider a cafe (which is more sit down,
possibly with cake or meals).

Existing tags like takeaway=only, indoor_seating=yes/no/bar_table,
outdoor_seating=yes/no should be used to add further information.