[Tagging] Central European insight needed: cukrászda, cukrárna, cukiernia, ciastkarnia, cukráreň, pasticceria, konditorei, patisserie, ...

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 11:33:29 UTC 2020

Okay, so at least now I better see where the misunderstanding stems
from. Let's get some facts straight. It may be true that almost all
words in OSM are interpreted within British English, but amenity=café
is an exception (we've decided to leave out the accent for the benefit
of the international community).

Other than the accidental clash in wording, it doesn't refer to a
British cafe, greasy spoon or a diner - without having visited one of
those, I'd probably simply tag those as amenity=fast_food.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafe (redirect to coffeehouse)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafe_(British)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greasy_spoon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diner

Let me share some proof to consider.

If you refer to:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcafe

> amenity=cafe (café) is for a generally informal place with sit-down facilities selling beverages and light meals and/or snacks. This includes coffee-shops and tea shops selling perhaps tea, coffee and cakes through to bistros selling meals with alcoholic drinks."

This highlights the fact that we've introduced this kind of amenity to
tag a café or coffee-shop as per the text and Wikipedia.

The pictures all show coffeehouses.

The proposed icon that shows the most prominent feature of this
amenity depicts a coffee mug.

You can verify that this was the original intention and original icon
of the creators as well:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dcafe#Voting

If you think the community should reserve the tag amenity=cafe for
diners and British cafe, what tag do you think the rest of the world
should be using for their hundreds of thousands of coffeehouses?

As mentioned by Feket, a coffeehouse usually also has something to "go
with" your coffee, tea or other beverage, like a sandwich, a snack or
even a piece of pie or cake they purchased (possibly from a
cukrászda). Most small cafés around here usually lack a kitchen in
which they could cook hot meals. I think offering something quick and
simple like an omelette mentioned on the talk page could also be
plausible, but people definitely aren't coming here for the food.
However, it is not unheard of in Hungary that you could enjoy a 2-hour
limited-time daily lunch:menu=* meal in a café or in a drink-only pub
that they also order from outside kitchens (I also have some
description of this custom if you are interested - the source page has
recently been vandalized).

This also brings us back to amenity=fast_food:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dfast_food

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_food_restaurant

> A fast food restaurant, also known as a quick service restaurant (QSR) within the industry, is a specific type of restaurant that serves fast food cuisine and has minimal table service. The food served in fast food restaurants is typically part of a "meat-sweet diet", offered from a limited menu, cooked in bulk in advance and kept hot, finished and packaged to order, and usually available for take away, though seating may be provided. Fast food restaurants are typically part of a restaurant chain or franchise operation that provides standardized ingredients and/or partially prepared foods and supplies to each restaurant through controlled supply channels. The term "fast food" was recognized in a dictionary by Merriam–Webster in 1951.[1]
>
>Arguably, the first fast food restaurants originated in the United States with White Castle in 1921.[2] Today, American-founded fast food chains such as McDonald's (est. 1940) and KFC (est. 1952)[3][4][5][6] are multinational corporations with outlets across the globe.

Note that illustrations depict Burger King, McDonald's and a fish and
chip shop in England, and that the icon generally depicts a fast food
item like a burger. It is true that there exist such small fast_food
restaurants that they operate from a vehicle and they may only have
tables, but no seats (takeaway=only and/or capacity=0), but this is a
minority. The vast majority do have at least picnic table kind of
seating outside, and ones residing within buildings in Hungary almost
always offer seating. Interestingly, smallish places may not serve
coffee at all (they don't have room to house coffee machines or don't
have enough water supply).

Hence I would recommend you would follow the guidance of mapping a POI
by its primary function - i.e., _why_ people want to go there:
* If they regularly go there because they are hungry and want
something unsophisticated that can be prepared real fast from
industrial materials, they go to amenity=fast_food.
* If they want to eat something that is more akin to home cooking and
hand-made involving numerous cooking steps, they go to a restaurant
(and hence have to pay for the chef's expertise and full wage).
* If they want to socialize and have some (mostly non-alcoholic
drinks) like a coffee or tea, they go to an amenity=cafe.
* If they are not hungry, but want to enjoy a great dessert
experience, they go to a cukrászda.

I don't quite see the overlap (other than putting things inside your
mouth, but then we might as well tag everything
amenity=human_palatable).