[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - hiking_trail_relation_roles

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 22:08:19 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 4:02 PM Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe someone could try basic roletagging of ways. I will not do that, because it would take much more time, maintenance and tooling. I don't foresee mappers in Nederland to do it that way, but in other countries putting everything in one big relation is more common.

And here in the US, loops and spurs/branches are either really minor,
or given their own identity. (Even the long alternative to the Long
Path that I discussed is not considered to be "the Long Path", it's
"an acceptable alternative recommended to thru-hikers to avoid the
Orange County road walk, and for which full credit will be given
toward the patch." I wouldn't put it in the relation.)

I've managed the relations for two longish trails, and I don't really
have much use for these features on either one. I don't object to the
proposal, but I really don't have worked examples to contribute!  (For
one of those trails, "everything in one big relation" was "a
super-relation containing eleven smaller relations, one per county",
but that's as complicated as it got.)